Sunday, September 6, 2009

TODAY'S THRIFTY TREASURES and METAMORPHOSIS MONDAY

Wow--where did the summer go? I am ready for cooler weather, but will miss all the summer garage sales and estate sales. I visited a few sales this weekend, but really didn't find too much. Here's my one new fun finds that I want to share with you and the troup from Today's Thrifty Treasures blog party over at Rhoda's Southern Hospitality Blog.
Just down the street on Saturday were 2 garage sales. I picked up a few items of clothing at one and then spotted this mirror at the other. It was marked $5, which I was more than happy to pay. It works perfectly in my newly remodeled kitchen. I love the gold frame and the beveled glass/mirror.



Earlier last week, one of my devoted dog collar customers, Ellen, sent me a link to something she wanted to see if I could start making. I thought this would make a perfect entry for the Metamorphosis Monday blog party hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch.
The link she sent was for items called "collarettes", which are made by refashioning the collars for shirts to be embellished as neckwear for dogs. They are just too cute! So off to the thrift store I did go, dropping EVERYTHING else to tackle this new "adventure". I picked up a just a few shirts to use as trials--averaging about $2.50 each (I have since found better deals on shirts).



I removed the collars, added a button here, hook and loop there, maybe some trim, and now they are in my Etsy shop as "CLASSY COLLARETTES".





This last one flew off to Oregon to be with my customer, Ellen, and her adorable little Siri!



I am working on several more right now to add to the shop.

One last thing: Monday, Sept. 7 is the First Monday Sales Event hosted by Etsy Texas Crafters. I'm joining in and offering 15% off all regular priced items (clearance/custom orders/shipping excluded) all day this Monday. Please read my CRAZY FOR COLLARS shop's announcement for the full details.



Drop on by and SAVE!
Have a great week everyone!

18 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Suzanne, Love that mirror! That's a great find.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That mirror is great! But omg those collars are SO Cute!

Ellen Ehle Schaefer said...

Siri awaits her collar; I am sure it'll be here Tuesday and I'll take a photo pronto. Meantime, I am loving your collar embellishments and it's fun to watch you take off on your new adventures in Collaretteland!
The mirror is fabu!

Joan@anthinggoeshere said...

Love the mirror! And the collarettes are very cute. I have seen several blog dogs wearing ties also.

Sue said...

Those new doggie collarettes are just too adorable! How clever and fashionable. I wish I had a pupster to dress! Great find on the mirror, too, Suzanne.
:-) Sue

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Really like the mirror, and those collars are adorable.

Alicia said...

The mirror was a great find! I think the collars are such a cute idea!

Quiltpiecer said...

The mirror was a great find! But I have to say the collarettes are absolutely cute! You are so talented!

Helen Joy said...

What a cute idea those collarettes are!

Signing Out said...

I love the dog collars! You are so creative!

Jane

Unknown said...

Those collars are just adorable!

Jan said...

The mirror is fabulous! And collars are the cutest things!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a beautiful mirror! You begin to wonder why people spend SO much money on new things when you can find such gorgeous things that others are discarding. Wonderful find!!

Your dog collars are the cutest things!
I have never seen anything like them! Good luck on your new adventure. People are always looking for some cute thing for their tiny furry children. :)

Kristina said...

I love the collarettes, can you do a tutorial on how to make them your way? I really want to know how to make the little bows you are putting on the front.

Ashley said...

Those collars are the cutest things I've ever seen!!!

Thanks for the nice comment today ;) I like to keep things as easy as possible!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love the dog collars. Seriously I love them. They are so cute. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button. You have such great ideas ALL the time!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Love the doggie collars! Such a great idea for the classy pet.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh that mirror was an amazing find! And I do love the collars. laurie